Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2.0.0-beta4 not working on Mac

Kelvin Tran

Moderator note - Merged because of the similarity of the two topics (both relating to the actual connectivity and pre-use stages of Synergy 2)

Edited by Kelvin Tran
Addition of parenthetical information.
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Onoitsu2 said:

Did you close both processes it said to from Activity Monitor? If not, you may need to simply restart the computer overall, as is not uncommon with this Beta 4 release.

Yes, I followed the steps. Force closed both processes. They restart. Am I supposed to run Synergy again to get the GUI, or is there some hotkey to open it?

8 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Have you referred to the troubleshooting steps pinned to the top of the early access form? https://symless.com/synergy-2-beta4-troubleshooting

Follow what @Onoitsu2 said along with what I have posted and feel free to report back to us with your findings. We'll help you take it from there.

Yes, I did. I have three processes, Synergy, synergy2 and synergyd. Tried force closing the two as in the troubleshoot guide. They restart. Tried force closing all three. They restart. Have rebooted the laptop several times. Still the same. No GUI.

Well, I have made some progress. Firstly, I managed to get the GUI on the Mac to show. What I did was that I force closed the Synergy process, then immediately started the Synergy app before the process restarted. Then the GUI opened!

And now I have both my MacBookPro as a green "screen" and the Windows 10 PC as a green "screen" in both the Synergy programs on the two devices. If I rearrange the "screens" on one computer, it updates on the other one. So I have a connection! But neither transfer the mouse pointer to the other device. On the Mac it seems like nothing happens when I move the mouse to the edge. On the Windows machine the mouse pointer turns into a dot when moved to either edges, and it seems like it get "warped" somewhere, but it's not going to the Mac. I can sense that the mouse it "outside" of the PC screen because if I move the mouse slightly back and forth, the dot don't move. But when I move it further away from the edge, the mouse pointer comes back as if it has been on the Mac. I tried to find out how to get some logs, (tilde key?) but I can't find it. Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, Brsrkr said:

Well, I have made some progress. Firstly, I managed to get the GUI on the Mac to show. What I did was that I force closed the Synergy process, then immediately started the Synergy app before the process restarted. Then the GUI opened!

And now I have both my MacBookPro as a green "screen" and the Windows 10 PC as a green "screen" in both the Synergy programs on the two devices. If I rearrange the "screens" on one computer, it updates on the other one. So I have a connection! But neither transfer the mouse pointer to the other device. On the Mac it seems like nothing happens when I move the mouse to the edge. On the Windows machine the mouse pointer turns into a dot when moved to either edges, and it seems like it get "warped" somewhere, but it's not going to the Mac. I can sense that the mouse it "outside" of the PC screen because if I move the mouse slightly back and forth, the dot don't move. But when I move it further away from the edge, the mouse pointer comes back as if it has been on the Mac. I tried to find out how to get some logs, (tilde key?) but I can't find it. Any ideas?

Sorry, my bad. Please disregard the part about the pointer turning into a dot and warping.  I had the SideSync software running to connect my Samsung Phone to the PC. That's what caused the pointer to turn into a dot, and the pointer to "warp". It's how that software works. After disabling it and restarting Synergy with F12, nothing happens when moving the pointer to the edges..

It started working for me today. That was after multiple attempts of restarting the service and app on both my MacBook and Windows laptop.

I would like to be able to say what steps I had to take to get it going, alas, it was totally random. The Mac app main window is not showing.

I don't expect the working state to last so will wait for next beta update. For a public beta, this is really quite flaky. Hope beta 5 is better.

Ditta

PS: Yup - just before posting this reply the mouse/keyboard are no longer transferring to the other screen - although both systems are showing as green :(