Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Service Indicator on macOS

1 hour ago, Nick Bolton said:

Good point. Networks are inherently troublesome.

Tray icon it is! So, do you want it primarily for status, or for control (over start/stop)?

Both. :D

Maybe, green, red and amber, For On, Off and there might be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
14 minutes ago, esotericist said:

I know some people whose initial experience with synergy one made them go 'nope, too much trouble', and once you work out the kinks, I'm confident I'll be able to push people to use synergy 2. It's my opinion that you're definitely on the right track with the UI (although hopefully you do expose some more advanced knobs in the future).

Great to hear, thanks.

2 hours ago, esotericist said:

Both was my answer, too. :D

I mean, in MY case specifically, I do not often want to start/stop synergy -- I am not nearly as mobile in my personal work patterns as a lot of others here, or colleagues that I have. My macbook is largely relegated to "third monitor, which also happens to be a bonus ram and CPU so media doesn't prevent my dev machine from slowing down", but having the option is fairly important to me. I'll personally get more use out of a status icon, however you end up deciding to encode information.

And don't be concerned about relating complex information through color coding. 'on and supposed to be, off and supposed to be, uh-oh' is really all you need, and any further details can come from the pulldown/pullup menu from clicking the icon.

By the by, I really super appreciate the responsiveness, Nick. That's part of why I went: "Oh, well, better give them money". The other part was because I am very much a fan of streamlined interfaces; I know some people whose initial experience with synergy one made them go 'nope, too much trouble', and once you work out the kinks, I'm confident I'll be able to push people to use synergy 2. It's my opinion that you're definitely on the right track with the UI (although hopefully you do expose some more advanced knobs in the future).

Beautifully said. I too miss the icon in my status bar at the top of the Mac, showing it working. Because it has stuttered a few times in my testing, and I did not know if the service was the issue, or it was on the host that the issue was happening. This totally solves those thoughts. However I like the idea of remotely being able to prevent a system from interacting with another system. So the ability to right click (or command click on macOS) and choosing to disable the system, being communicated across all others on your "user" and then being able to enable it down the line would be great. I have a headless server, to go with my 2 computers that do have monitors. However can remotely view the screen using ScreenConnect. Now yes, I can also control it. But sometimes for some processes that was laggy doing both video and control over that one app. Pairing Synergy as the inputs, never slowed it down at all. Plus if I really really wanted to I could connect my monitor's second VGA input to it, so I would no longer be headless. I did this at times when I was not needing a loose VGA input for a computer being repaired at the time, and Synergy was ideal to use then. In Synergy 1, I would spread the screens apart so that it would "disable" access to it, and would move them back together on the host when needed to be reached. Heck even used the Android screen control for v1 for some tasks on my tablets or phones.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

In all prior versions I removed -NoTray from the registry startup.  I can think of a few commands that would be useful.

• Start/Stop/Restart service
  • Show Application
  • Open Log