Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Linux users: beta4 needs extra config

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Hi Linux users,

To use beta4, please run these commands after installing and before starting the config app:

mkdir -p ~/.config/synergy/
ln -s ~/.config/Symless/Synergy/synergy.conf ~/.config/synergy/synergy.conf
/usr/bin/synergyd

The last line starts the service, and the service log can be found in: /var/log/synergy-service.log

Sorry that we dropped the ball for Linux on this one!

Thanks,
Nick

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nick Bolton

• jaap aarts

• GranPaSmurf

• koste

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that should probably change from: to: ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd If your username is joeblow, then it would be: ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=

Editing the config and restarting the service worked for me. Thanks jaap aarts

Hi Linux users, To use beta4, please run these commands after installing and before starting the config app: mkdir -p ~/.config/synergy/ ln -s ~/.config/Symless/Synergy/synergy.conf ~/.config

Posted Images

GranPaSmurf

That did it.

This is the kind of glitch one can expect in a beta trial. It did not work the first time around. Linux went green but did not connect. I restarted both machines. Linux stayed gray. I opened the Konsole and re-ran the commands given by Nick, then opened Synergy...connection and both have 'gone green' and Synergy works as usual.

I wonder if I will have to re-run the command line again when I restart the computer? I leave it on most of the time anyway.

ive fixed the service issue, the PATH value wasnt set and was throwing an error which the command below did not pick up on.

systemctl status synergy

using the code below in the synergy.service should fix the service.

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

the only way I could display the error was using a wrapper executing the program and dump the env output to a text file for validation.

Sep 14 16:02:26 antergos testwrapper[23178]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_
Sep 14 16:02:26 antergos testwrapper[23178]:   what():  HOME environment variable not set
Sep 14 16:02:26 antergos testwrapper[23178]: /home/jaap/bin/testwrapper: line 6: 23183 Aborted

ill add the code you posted and the new ExecStart in the AUR package.

Edited by jaap aarts
  • Like 1
GranPaSmurf

Thanks, that all sounds reassuring. But I have no idea what it means.

Should I enter new commands into a terminal? if so, please respond with that command set aside so I can bumble through.

24 minutes ago, KringleKrebs said:

Thanks, that all sounds reassuring. But I have no idea what it means.

Should I enter new commands into a terminal? if so, please respond with that command set aside so I can bumble through.

all you can do is edit /usr/lib/systemd/system/synergy.service(as root)

and change the line that starts with ExecStart to:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/root /usr/bin/synergyd

then execute this command as root:

systemctl deamon-reload
systemctl start synergy
systemctl enable synergy

this should start the service every time you boot.

38 minutes ago, kbuckham said:

I think that should probably change from:

to:

If your username is joeblow, then it would be:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/joeblow /usr/bin/synergyd

Unless of course you also installed synergy as root or normally operate your UI day to day as root (bad idea).  I think for the majority of  users that have downloaded synergy the config file will only exist in their own home directory.

yeah it should be that, my fault. HOME=/root doesnt actually work.

this be fixed to work tho, cause a service shouldnt depend on a users home directory as you can have multiple users.

GranPaSmurf

gentelmen,

I apologise for giving the impression I am a better Linux user than I am.

I have tried to implement your suggestions as written. I have edited ExecStart as indicated. (it took me hours to learn how run Kate as root. KDE has gotten really difficult about running anything as root. I rarely need to go there.

after editing ExecStart I ran 

7 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

systemctl deamon-reload
systemctl start synergy
systemctl enable synergy

as root. again, a learning curve for me. But the command line didn't seem to respond, though I didn't get an error message.

Bottom line, Synergy no longer will connect. after restarts and even after re-entering the commands that Nick gave, I got no Synergy anymore. 

my next attempt will be to uninstall Synergy - reboot and re-install. Then maybe Nick's code will get me back on the air. I'll just leave the machine running until Synergy sends an update. 

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Guys, I'm really sorry for the hassle on Linux. We should have put more time into testing beta4. I promise to devote more resources to Linux development for beta5. My goal is for it to "just work" when you install. No faffing around with configs (which defeats the whole point of Synergy 2).

@Nick Bolton

Thanks, I thought I was missing something really obvious.

Another issue I noticed is the config window. It's fine on my UHD monitor, although even there I'd say it's a touch large (as a minimum size, anyway). But it exceeds the limits of my 1920x1080 laptop screen. If it slightly exceeded my 1024x600 netbook resolution that would be one thing I suppose, although I still wouldn't like it, but surely it should still be usable on, say, 1600×900?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
4 minutes ago, Frans said:

but surely it should still be usable on, say, 1600×900?

Yeah absolutely. I think once we start representing screen sizes accurately, this will be fixed.

15 hours ago, KringleKrebs said:

gentelmen,

I apologise for giving the impression I am a better Linux user than I am.

I have tried to implement your suggestions as written. I have edited ExecStart as indicated. (it took me hours to learn how run Kate as root. KDE has gotten really difficult about running anything as root. I rarely need to go there.

after editing ExecStart I ran 

as root. again, a learning curve for me. But the command line didn't seem to respond, though I didn't get an error message.

Bottom line, Synergy no longer will connect. after restarts and even after re-entering the commands that Nick gave, I got no Synergy anymore. 

my next attempt will be to uninstall Synergy - reboot and re-install. Then maybe Nick's code will get me back on the air. I'll just leave the machine running until Synergy sends an update. 

If it gives no output it should have worked.

The instructions I gave you might have been wrong:

21 hours ago, kbuckham said:

I think that should probably change from:

to:

If your username is joeblow, then it would be:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/joeblow /usr/bin/synergyd

Unless of course you also installed synergy as root or normally operate your UI day to day as root (bad idea).  I think for the majority of  users that have downloaded synergy the config file will only exist in their own home directory.

If you want to run /usr/lib/synergyd manualy you can undo the changes or execute:

systemctl disable synergy
systemctl stop synergy

But this will mean you will have to enable it again when this gets fixed in an update

• Like 1
GranPaSmurf

Thanks for your help. I actually enjoyed getting deeper under the hood of my Linux than I ordinarily do. I look forward to conversing when beta5 arrives.

As for right now, I reluctantly went back to 1.8. Probably best anyway since there is no 32bit beta yet and I have been operating on 3/4 my usual system.

Thanks again for educating me a little on my Linux.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
52 minutes ago, KringleKrebs said:

I actually enjoyed getting deeper under the hood of my Linux than I ordinarily do. I look forward to conversing when beta5 arrives.

Although it goes directly against what Synergy 2 stands for, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself haha.

Sorry to hear you had to go back to 1.8, that's a shame. I'll make sure the Linux user experience for beta5 is better.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
10 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

will beta 5 be released end this month?

or have you shifted the release dates.

It'll be out in about 6 weeks or so.

On 15/09/2017 at 4:55 PM, Nick Bolton said:

Although it goes directly against what Synergy 2 stands for, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself haha.

Sorry to hear you had to go back to 1.8, that's a shame. I'll make sure the Linux user experience for beta5 is better.

Perhaps you could have the package create a synergy user and group, and then users that are a member of said group can fire up the manager app and use it (along with the Synergy functionality itself)?

• Like 1

I have no ~/.config/symless  directory to symlink from and or to.   This was the first install of  synergy 2 (alpha) < not beta yet.

Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs

I have to "sign in with Symless" the browser catches the URL and I get into my account and  "Crickets"  Nothing happening

Starting synergyd

lenovo P50

Ubuntu 17.04 KDE

Linux martovo 4.10.0-35-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 13 07:46:59 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I strace the client and get missing config file.  (it doesn't create a default if one doesn't exist)?

rt_sigaction(SIGRTMIN, {0x7fbfb78e2b40, [], SA_RESTORER|SA_SIGINFO, 0x7fbfb78ee670}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGRT_1, {0x7fbfb78e2bd0, [], SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART|SA_SIGINFO, 0x7fbfb78ee670}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [RTMIN RT_1], NULL, 8) = 0
getrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK, {rlim_cur=8192*1024, rlim_max=RLIM64_INFINITY}) = 0
brk(NULL)                               = 0xba0000
brk(0xbd2000)                           = 0xbd2000
futex(0x7fbfb68cc03c, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 2147483647) = 0
futex(0x7fbfb68cc048, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 2147483647) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGUSR1, {0x40ec30, [], SA_RESTORER|SA_INTERRUPT, 0x7fbfb78ee670}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [USR1], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [PIPE], NULL, 8) = 0
uname({sysname="Linux", nodename="martovo", ...}) = 0
fstat(1, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_rdev=makedev(136, 17), ...}) = 0
write(1, "synergyc: a server address or na"..., 47synergyc: a server address or name is required
) = 47
write(1, "Try `synergyc --help' for more i"..., 44Try `synergyc --help' for more information.
) = 44
futex(0x7fbfb65461a0, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 2147483647) = 0
exit_group(3)                           = ?
+++ exited with 3 +++

I attempt to start daemon it core dumps

-- Subject: Unit synergy.service has finished start-up
-- Unit synergy.service has finished starting up.
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]: [2017-09-18T13:26:04] debug: service log path: /var/log/synergy-service.log
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]: [2017-09-18T13:26:04] info: starting service...
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
Sep 18 13:26:04 martovo synergyd[30456]:   what():  HOME environment variable not set
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Service has no hold-off time, scheduling restart.
-- Subject: Unit synergy.service has finished shutting down
-- Unit synergy.service has finished shutting down.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
-- Subject: Unit synergy.service has failed
-- Unit synergy.service has failed.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 18 13:26:05 martovo systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.

• Like 1
  • Nick Bolton unpinned this topic