Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Cloud stuff mandatory?

Thomas Lazar

Hello... 

I see the cloud servers seem to have had some sort of issues over the last couple of days... which coincided "perfectly" with my trying out V2 Beta for the first time. 

Which brings me to the main question... is V2 really really not going to work without having some sort of annoying cloud connection? Is this the plan for this software? If that's the case and I can't even start the program and manually configure my settings anymore then I want my 5€ back. 

I know all these nifty features that lets you use your synergy stuff even while not on the same network and stuff and all the other nice cloud enabled things that might be nice for many... but I for one am not someone who wants to trust Symless to handle all this stuff in a secure manner. We're talking about intercepting keystrokes here for crying out loud. Having them go to some cloud servers and no one really knows how this stuff gets handled there. This makes synergy V2 basically a keylogger that sends stuff off into the internets!

I have Little Snitch running on my Mac. I know what I want synergy to be able to connect to! And if this cloud stuff is going to be mandatory then give me my money back!

Paul C Craggs

I'm fairly in agreement with you here Thomas. quite a lot of the time I don't have a connection and work secure. If it don't have standalone capability it's nothing short of malware.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Don't worry, you can still run Synergy 2 from the command line (which won't talk to the cloud). We will not be releasing a non-cloud offline version of the new config interface.

Guest Andrew Nelless

@Thomas LazarIt's worth pointing out that absolutely no keyboard or mouse input currently flows through the cloud. Private IP addresses, screen names and your current screen status is stored, but very little else.

Believe me, as a developer on the Synergy team, I share and have raised a lot of your concerns. I don't mind stating publically that if I thought we were making users keyboard or mouse data readable to us by default (and anybody who ever hacked our infrastructure or made a court order to do so), that I would find working for the company to be very hard to reconcile.

When Bonjour was removed I was skeptical. The bottom line though is multicast is fairly unreliable in the wild and utilising the cloud we can actually see how many of our customers are using the product successfully, which is hugely rewarding (and sometimes surprising) as a programmer. I'm now pretty sure, technically speaking, that cloud is the way to go.

I can't say much else really except tell you that is my personal ambition to ensure that the cloud infrastructure will become more reliable (I spent most of my saturday trying to prop it up), what is stored and not stored will be documented, and that if and when the cloud bridge functionality is ready it will use well respected, documented, end-to-end encryption.

Guest Andrew Nelless

@Thomas LazarWe do intend to make Synergy 'functional' when the cloud infrastructure is down, but peer discovery is going to depend on it in v2.0. There's no militant philosophy behind this decision. If cloud config turns out to be a disaster (say more than small % don't have Internet access on all their machines) then I'm sure we will eventually address those concerns by adding other options.

I can't really go in to roadmap details, but we have already considered many reservations enterprise customers may have with using our cloud, and have planned accordingly.

13 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Don't worry, you can still run Synergy 2 from the command line (which won't talk to the cloud). We will not be releasing a non-cloud offline version of the new config interface.

Does that mean we will be able to configure via talking to the cloud server and then using the generated config file to run offline if we want to?

• Kelvin Tran featured, pinned, unfeatured, featured, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • jaap aarts unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
9 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

will synergy2 even replace synergy1? isnt it a completely diferent product?

We will stop developing Synergy 1 once most of our users have adopted Synergy 2.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
3 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Will we still provide forum support for it?

Depends on the demand. You can only please most of the people, most of the time. We intend to support Synergy 1 only for major fixes while most of our users are unable to upgrade to Synergy 2. Our long-term goal is obviously to move all Synergy 1 users over to Synergy 2. There will inevitably be people that are stuck on Synergy 1 because of some edge case that would be expensive for us to solve. In this case, those people would get a refund. We'll still make the Synergy 1 download available for the foreseeable future.

On 8/7/2017 at 3:17 AM, Nick Bolton said:

This link does not work for me.  Where is the command line config documentation for this Beta release? 

I'm having major problems with this beta... I think because my computers are using dhcp.  The log file shows attempts to connect to ip addresses that are not my systems.

1 hour ago, es99 said:

This link does not work for me.  Where is the command line config documentation for this Beta release? 

I'm having major problems with this beta... I think because my computers are using dhcp.  The log file shows attempts to connect to ip addresses that are not my systems.

https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/wiki/Command-Line is the right link, I believe.  I'm currently running on Synergy 1 because Synergy2 beta3 and beta4 stopped connecting between hosts at work, and it was easier to keep doing the connections manually in Synergy 1 for the moment.   have used Synergy 2 from the command line before -- but I have slept since then!

The page in the core wiki will help, though, even if it's not quite right, if I recall correctly.