Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Can't get Synergy working

I've set Synergy up on a host, but I can't get it working on a client.

(1) If I go through the process and click "start", it says to enter the host name. I don't see anywhere to enter that. Does it mean the IP address?  Back on the host, it shows five IP addresses.

(2) If I click "auto config", it tries to install Bonjour, but crashes.

How can I get Synergy working?

Paul Suarez

Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

I have 11 computers, all are running 64-bit Windows.  Nine are running Windows 10 and two are running Windows 7.  They are all connected to the network by Ethernet cables.  BB is the server.

Since I posted the message, I tried to install Synergy on the client named John again.  I told it to do a repair.  This time when I checked "auto configure" it did load Bonjour, whereas before it crashed. 

Attached are three screenshots.  The client is asking for the name of the server.  Does it want "BB" (I don't see anywhere to enter that) or the IP address (there are five IP addresses shown on the server).

So I'm stuck at this point.

Synergy client 1.jpg

Synergy server 1.jpg

Synergy server 2.jpg

I found a video on YouTube.  I now have the server seeing the client - sort of.  I set alt-0 to go to the server and alt-a to go to one of the clients. If, on the server, I do alt-a, the mouse disappears, but the screen of the client doesn't come up.  IF I do alt-0, the mouse comes back on the server.  So it is apparently switching the mouse (and probably keyboard), but it is not switching the screen.  How can this be fixed?

And the log shows that it is switching:

2017-08-05T18:46:24] INFO: switch from "John" to "BB" at 1062,775

[2017-08-05T18:46:24] INFO: entering screen

[2017-08-05T18:46:26] INFO: switch from "BB" to "Phi" at 0,0

[2017-08-05T18:46:26] INFO: leaving screen

[2017-08-05T18:46:29] INFO: switch from "Phi" to "BB" at 1062,775

[2017-08-05T18:46:29] INFO: entering screen

[2017-08-05T18:46:32] INFO: watchdog status: ok

Yes, it is.  You can see in the first line of the log that I posted: switch from "John" to "BB".  BB is the server and John is one of the clients.  It wasn't on there at the time of the screenshot, but it is now. 

Switching the mouse seems to be working, but switching the screen is not, and I can't test the keyboard.

Synergy server 3.jpg

Paul Suarez

So have you been able to connect John successfully? Also, are you trying to set it up to switch only with a hotkey instead of just moving the mouse to John's direction from the server(BB)?

I've been trying to do it with the hot keys, and it only switches the mouse, not the screen.  I don't know exactly how to use it with the mouse.  On the server, I move the mouse to the lower left corner, but nothing happens.

Paul Suarez

You want it to be virtually under the server's screen you mean? If so, you'll need to move the screen for John under BB's screen on the server configuration interface. After doing so, you'll need to click apply on the server's Synergy interface.

Do you mean drag John to the same square as the server (BB)?  I did that, but it still doesn't work.  I can't see John's screen.  The log says:

[2017-08-08T22:04:28] NOTE: accepted client connection

[2017-08-08T22:04:28] NOTE: client "Phi" has connected

[2017-08-08T22:04:31] INFO: switch from "BB" to "John" at 13,0

[2017-08-08T22:04:31] INFO: leaving screen

[2017-08-08T22:04:36] INFO: switch from "John" to "BB" at 96,857

[2017-08-08T22:04:36] INFO: entering screen

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...