Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mapping Mac Command and Option Keys to a Windows Keyboard

On 2/8/2019 at 10:11 AM, lconover said:

This took quite a bit of troubleshooting, and it's a bit of a hack.  These settings assume you're using a Windows system as the server, and the Mac system is the client.

What this will do to map your keys:

• Windows key 'control' will be 'command' on the Mac client
  • Windows key 'Windows' will be the 'option key' on the Mac client
  • Windows key 'alt' will be the 'control' key on the Mac client

On Windows:

1. Stop the Synergy service running in the background.
  2. Go to C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME HERE\AppData\Local\Symless\Synergy
  3. Edit the synergy.conf file as follows for the destination Mac under section: screens
        ctrl = meta
        alt = ctrl
        super = alt
  5. Save your changes.
  6. SET synergy.conf THE FILE TO READ ONLY - this is key, since otherwise your changes will get overwritten as soon as the Synergy service restarts.  I had it nuke my test files several times before I realized what was happening.
  7. Restart the server.

I'm going to post this on other related threads to help others as well.  Note that if you change your setup later, you're going to have to undo this change (let Synergy edit the file), make the setup changes, and reapply it.

*  And now for a selfish plug - if you find that this solution saves you time, throw me a follow on Twitch or Instagram (cautionary_snail) - it's free, and follows make me happy since I work hard on my photos, and will be trying to build a Twitch channel soon.  If you work for a company that's awesome (hello to any animation companies, 3d printing companies, etc.) and can send a discount or silly postcard my way, that's especially awesome.  I'd worship you if you can get me early access to The Outer Worlds so I could get a jumpstart on streaming it!  :)

Thanks! This worked for me. I was so frustrated by not being able to figure this out. 

• 7 months later...
UnixOutlaw
On 2/8/2019 at 11:11 PM, lconover said:

This took quite a bit of troubleshooting, and it's a bit of a hack.  These settings assume you're using a Windows system as the server, and the Mac system is the client.

What this will do to map your keys:

• Windows key 'control' will be 'command' on the Mac client
  • Windows key 'Windows' will be the 'option key' on the Mac client
  • Windows key 'alt' will be the 'control' key on the Mac client

On Windows:

1. Stop the Synergy service running in the background.
  2. Go to C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME HERE\AppData\Local\Symless\Synergy
  3. Edit the synergy.conf file as follows for the destination Mac under section: screens

ctrl = meta
        alt = ctrl
        super = alt

Wow!  This sorta helped me solve what's been bugging me for ages...  

Scenario, latest 1.x version of Synergy (I won't use 3.0 yet 'cause there's no arm64 binaries) 

L: MacOS MBP M1 Ventura (client)

M: Pop!_OS 22 x86_64 desktop (server)

R: MacOS MBP M1 Ventura (client)

FarR : Ubuntu 23.04 x86 thinkpad (client)

Bottom : Pop!_OS 22.04 RPi4 

I was unable to use Super to do stuff on MacOS (e.g. screenshots, pick and select multiple fiiles etc).  Tried changing the keys for the server machine - zero effect.

So I went to the config for the two Mac clients and

Shift : Shift
Ctrl : Ctrl
Alt : Meta
Meta : Meta
Super : Alt

And it's working for me...  Sorta - will take some tweaking I guess...  Where I was going wrong was trying to set this on the SERVER machine...

---

Update : 

Actually - NO! those settings didn't work...  Will have to do some more tweaking I guess...  But at least now I know I need to modify the client config, on the server, not the server config, on the server... 

Edited by UnixOutlaw
wrong info
Drew DeNardo

This article solved the problem for me: https://symless.com/synergy-help/how-can-i-swap-modifier-keys

The instructions are slightly different with the new v3 app -- I'm running the RC1 now, but I think this also applies to the beta.

I'm using a standard Windows keyboard connected to my Windows 11 laptop.  My other computer is running macOS.

On the "main" Synergy 3 screen which says "Screen Layout" on the top, click on the three dots at the top-right corner of the macOS computer.  On the drop-down menu that appears, choose "Computer Preference".  A pop-up for that computer will appear.  Click on the "modifier keys" tab.  There set "Alt -> Super" and "Super -> Alt".  Then click "Save".

I'm happy with the result.