Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

"WARNING: failed to connect to server: Timed out"

nurinadinan7

I just bought the basic version of synergy and i cant seem to get it to work. I'd like to set up my windows 10 as the server and my OSX as the client. I've entered the IP address and have configured both computers based on the tutorial video on the synergy website, but it says "WARNING: failed to connect to server: Timed out" every time. I'm not sure why this is happening but I honestly expect something I've paid for to work.

One of the Symless team members emailed me and asked me to post my problem in the forums, so here it is. Hopefully someone can help.

Edited by nurinadinan7
question wasnt clear
Paul Suarez

Hi @nurinadinan7! Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

nurinadinan7

MacBook Pro retina early 2015 running macOS Sierra (Client) named Ares. Windows 10 64bit (Server) named Athena. Synergy 1.8.8 on both. Connected to my building's wifi. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Paul Suarez

Edited by nurinadinan7
Forgot to tag
nurinadinan7

Sorry, in the picture of the synergy software on my mac, i had it on configure interactively when i had this problem, choosing the "use existing configuration" also doesnt make a difference just btw. But just wanted to point that out. @Paul Suarez

Mothertrucker19

I have the same problem.

The machines recognize eachother, but they can't connect.

Even tried turning off the firewall on both, but still nothing.

It's kinda emberassing, as a free software with similar functionality just works.

nurinadinan7

i couldnt ping either machine. and i dont have third party firewalls on either. my windows only has windows defender running.

Paul Suarez

Can you try disabling Windows defender temporarily and try to ping it from the other machine just to check if it is the reason why ping doesn't go through?

Paul Suarez

Hi @nurinadinan7. Can you try adding an alias for your client machine first?

1. Click Configure server...
  2. Choose the screen for your client machine
  3. Under the screen name, you should see Aliases. Add "Ares.local" as an alias for it.
  4. Click OK
  5. Click Apply or Start

Let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
Mothertrucker19

It doesn't work for me too

On the server I get the error messege of "Connection was refused"

[2017-07-22T22:21:53] INFO: starting server

[2017-07-22T22:21:53] INFO: config file: C:/Users/PTER~1/AppData/Local/Temp/qt_temp.fl1964

[2017-07-22T22:21:53] INFO: log level: INFO

[2017-07-22T22:21:53] INFO: service command updated

[2017-07-22T22:21:54] INFO: starting new process

[2017-07-22T22:21:54] INFO: activeDesktop:Default

[2017-07-22T22:21:54] ERROR: could not get session id for process id 7876

[2017-07-22T22:21:54] INFO: starting new process

[2017-07-22T22:21:54] INFO: drag and drop enabled

[2017-07-22T22:21:54] NOTE: started server, waiting for clients

[2017-07-22T22:21:54] INFO: watchdog status: ok

Edited by Mothertrucker19
robosheep

hello i've also been having the same problem, can ping the client from the server but not the other way around. client is a mac running sierra and the server is a pc running windows 10 both 64 bit both running the newest version downloaded today.