Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Can't connect - endless progress bars

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strom

• Nick Bolton

• Paul Suarez

• D_Pain

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@strom Actually we're working on that! It probably won't be in 2.0 (November), but it could be in 2.1 (will be released a few months later).

I restart my pc. But it is still in endless progress bar. And I find that if I change position in windows, the changing position on Mac would also display. So I guess there is sti

Same issue here. 3 win 10 Computer 's. Reboot has no effect. Admin has no effect. 

Posted Images

hey guys,

I simply restart synergy2 many times on my both computer.

And I find the process bar is done and all sections are in green.

But it didn't work.

However, I just move the position as the picture.

It works!

But there are some other issues.

For example, after I go to windows, the mouse cannot go back to Mac.

It's good to have some progress.

螢幕快照 2017-07-05 下午3.30.17.png

• Like 1
daveonline

Got it working for now :) I think I figured out the issue - I made sure to start the program right after a fresh boot 

Same thing happening Windows 10 and MAC OS Sierra 10.12.5 .. did not get a chance to use the serial key.. the mac on the synergy screen has this endlessly buffering kind of thing goin' on.. I am trying the few suggestion on this thread.. hope they work.. if not hope you guys can fix..

Dash Minus

Replying here since I didn't want to open another thread on this.  Here is my info:

Computer 1 - installed and shows full green box
OS - RedHat Linux Enterprise
Connected via - Wifi
Synergy version - 2.0.0-beta2

Computer 2 - installed but endless progress bar
OS - Windows 10 Professional x64
Connected via - Wifi
Synergy version - 2.0.0-beta2
Windows Firewall - disabled for testing purposes

I had not had Synergy installed prior to installing it on either computer.  I am a first-time user.  Prior to this, I was using Mouse without Borders on the Win10 computer with other Windows computers.  If I reposition either computer in the Synergy layout screen, it is reflected on the other computer immediately.

After finding that I was getting the endless progress bar on the Win10 computer, I did the following troubleshooting attempts:

• Kill Synergy exe and restarted program - no change
  • Kill Synergy exe and restarted program by using "Run as Administrator" - no change
  • Reboot - no change
  • Uninstalled Synergy, rebooted, reinstalled Synergy, rebooted - no change

After doing the following, I was able to get Synergy to run showing the Win10 computer with a full green box:

1. Uninstalled Synergy
  2. Rebooted
  3. Deleted the following registry key:  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symless
  4. Deleted the following folder: C:\Users\*USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Symless
  5. Rebooted
  6. Installed Synergy
  7. Reauthenticated Synergy with my account

With everything looking OK, I set my computers with the Linux computer on the left with the Windows computer on the right.  I was initially not able to get my mouse to move from the Windows computer to my Linux computer.  After trying multiple times, it finally did move the cursor to the Linux computer and I thought I was good.  However, within 10 seconds or so, my Windows computer went back to the endless progress bars in Synergy and I could no longer control my Linux computer from the Windows computer.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Everyone: This problem is usually caused by network connection issue. 

To troubleshoot:

1. Open the log window by pressing the tilde key ( ` ).
  2. Right click on the log to send your log to us.
  3. Paste the link (show in the log) here on the forums.
  • Nick Bolton locked this topic
  • Nick Bolton unlocked this topic
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
3 minutes ago, strom said:

Partly it's the complete lack of any messaging within the app. I've had to learn via the forum that the endless progress bars indicate that Synergy can't make a connection to the server. I had thought that just meant it was waiting to establish a connection to another machine. Some messaging on that would be really handy to help debug. Having said that, I do understand that you guys are going for a near-zero-setup approach so I can see where the drive for simplicity is coming from.

During a beta I'd expect many bugs, but I'd generally expect the core technology to at least be testable some of the time. So far I've been unable to get past the endless progress indicators on 3 separate machines (2 x Mac and 1 x PC). The PC and one of the Macs are work-issue and likely behind all sorts firewalls which are causing the issues, but the second Mac is a totally vanilla, recently updated MacBook, so I'm surprised I can't make a connection using that one.

Hey @strom, have you tried using the log console? Are you thinking there should be some more obvious user messaging like a "connection failed" error message that you don't have to open the log for?

4 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Are you thinking there should be some more obvious user messaging like a "connection failed" error message that you don't have to open the log for?

Yes, something exactly like that would show Synergy's status much more clearly — Slack's offline notification works well:

595e6c452c1ee_Screenshot2017-07-0617_57_57.thumb.png.661e3ffcb22ea436b92f1c7c72108f61.png

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
2 minutes ago, strom said:

@strom Awesome, thanks! Here's the smoking gun...

failed to connect to server: Connection refused

@Paul Suarez Hey, could you help @strom troubleshoot this network error? Maybe it could be a firewall issue?

Paul Suarez

Will do @Nick Bolton. 

Hi @strom. Please post a screenshot of each machine's IP address. If they're connected on both wired and wireless networks, please post a screenshot of both.

You can refer to this link to check it on your Mac. For your Windows machine do the following.

1) Type Network connection in the search box on the taskbar and select View Network Connection.
2) Select the available network.
3) Click on View status of this Connection tab

@Nick Bolton, @Paul Suarez I think it's likely a firewall issue on Mac 1.

Mac 1 can ping Mac 2 and get a response.

Mac 2 gets no response when pinging Mac 1, even though it's on the same local network.

Mac 1 is a corporate machine running Symantic Endpoint Protection with Network Threat Protection. Unfortunately it's enforced by a Mac policy profile which can't be switched off.

A huge feature for Synergy 2 would be if it could provide an external bridge between machines that otherwise can't see each other on a network. That would make it extremely easy to use in a corporate environment, which is where I'd guess many of the greatest benefits are.

Not sure how viable this solution would be in terms of latency though…

I've made some progress with connecting my Mac 1: yesterday Mac 1 was unable to respond to pings (even with Firewall Stealth Mode off) or connect to Sonos. First I removed Symantec Endpoint Security which made no discernable difference. Then I removed a horribly stealthy little VPN client called Checkpoint Endpoint Security VPN which restored normal service. Both Macs can now see and respond to each other on the network. However neither Mac can connect to Synergy.

Any idea what I could try next? Could the router be blocking some ports, perhaps?

Here are the logs from both Macs:

Mac 1: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-07-07/23-2017-07-07T12-14-41.log

Mac 2: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-07-07/23-2017-07-07T12-15-01.log

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

This line looks to be the problem...

read error: line 16: invalid screen name "Kris MacBook Pro"

@Jerry Hou Any ideas how to fix this in Synergy 2?

1 minute ago, Jerry Hou said:

This is the issue we inherited from version 1. We are going to fix it in v2.

Here is the github issue.

https://github.com/symless/synergy/issues/5977

For now, the workaround would be renaming your machine with dashes rather than spaces.

Thought it might be this. How do I rename the machine? I've tried editing synergy.conf but it just reverts back each time I start the application.

OK, so I've renamed Mac 1 and now I see an extra screen within Synergy with the updated name.

Still not connecting though. The original screen name seems to still be causing problems. Is there a way to remove this from my account?

New logs:

Mac 1: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-07-07/23-2017-07-07T14-22-49.log

Mac 2: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-07-07/23-2017-07-07T14-20-51.log

43 minutes ago, Jerry Hou said:

Try press F12 on the machine you want to control the others please.

No difference — I'm still getting the endless progress bars…