Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Client Ubuntu 14.04 SERVER with Server Win7 x64

Mike Ray
Might be outside the intended usage, but after just trying it with no luck, figured I'd ask if anyone else had tried this and their results. In any case, server is Win7 x64 bit machine client is Ubuntu 14.04 SERVER. Server edition of Ubuntu doesn't come with a GUI environment (for those unfamiliar). I am able to get to the client to connect to the server without anything fancy, but the result is just a system that doesn't work. Both the server and client agree on when the mouse enters and leaves the client, but when the mouse is "in the client", the keyboard does not yield any output. I jumped the logging to debug and saw that client seemed to be only complaining about the clipboard (not a terrible issue) and was in fact capturing the keypresses, but the display would not show them. Entering a command from the Winx64 box and pressing "enter" on the native linux client resulted in a no-op, so it's not just that the monitor isn't displaying the character, but seemingly synergy registers the keypress and then can't send it to the terminal at all. This would be cool to get working because the alternative is eating up valuable screen space on my windows box when my linux box and a spare monitor are just sitting there. I understand I that I could switch to a desktop version of linux, but I don't particularly want the desktop resources, it eats resources with providing me no function.
Ben Koenig
Ok this sounds a little crazy. You just confused the heck out of me, and I am a big Linux guy! Just to make sure you did install an Xorg based desktop on your Ubuntu server (Synergy Client) correct? Technically All Linux distros are already servers so there is very little difference between Ubuntu [b]server[/b] and [b]desktop[/b]. I don't see a need to install a desktop version. They gave you apt-get for a reason! So which desktop did you install and does keyboard work without Synergy running?
Mike Ray
Sorry for the confusion/bad explanation. In any case, I downloaded the .deb installer from the synergy website and installed only the required dependencies -- I foolishly didn't keep a list, but mostly qt libs and packages. I could probably check apt history but I won't be at the machine for awhile. I didn't install a desktop environment like GNOME or KDE, closest thing to a desktop that I remember installing would have been x11-common package. Yes, the local keyboard currently dedicated to the server works just fine with and without synergy running. Also, I realize I was not clear on this point: I'm trying to access a TTY terminal.
Ben Koenig
Ok. I think I get it what you are trying to do. As long as you are running an X server Synergy will work. For weird keyboard issues that may be an issue with not having a proper desktop session running? Qt might be expecting something that standard session managers provide. Can you try something like Openbox? I know that works.
  • 2 weeks later...
Mike Ray
So I tried to play in /proc to redirect the FD for the xserver to a TTY, but no luck there. It might be possible to use something like socat to achieve a redirect like I want, but it's blocking me working on what I actually wanted to do, so I surrendered and re-installed with a GUI environment. Better luck to anyone else who tries to make this work.
Ben Koenig
Yeah I think it wants an actual X server. If you don't want a full DE and all of the fluff, there's no reason why you can't just run a single xterm as your desktop. Create a custom .xinitrc without a Window Manager and all the fancy stuff and the effect is very much the same as running in a TTY, but with higher resolution and accelerated graphics. $HOME/.xinitrc [code] #!/bin/sh xterm & [/code] [code] startx /home/USERNAME/.xinitrc[/code] A text based console implemented on an X server. xterm --help for configuration.