Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

I do not see any configuration options

Concidering i downloaded it yesterday after i got your mail, yes i am very sure its Beta4...

AAAAH its no longer minimizing to tray its minimizing to Vanished now... Thats even better!

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
2 minutes ago, FireFrenzy said:

Concidering i downloaded it yesterday after i got your mail, yes i am very sure its Beta4...

AAAAH its no longer minimizing to tray its minimizing to Vanished now... Thats even better!

When you close the configuration window, it closes and quits because it's for configuration only. The service (running in the background) keeps everything working at all times. If it stops working when you close the configuration window, then it's a huge bug and we need to fix it.

I actually haven't seen this bug yet, so I'm very keen to find out why it's happening.

Please, could you send your logs?

I have to admit i assumed it wasnt working simply because when i was testing it i hadnt futzed it through my firewall yet...

Mea culpa, it is now working as intended.

Oh and AVG has just now sent me a popup your Synergyc.exe is secure so that will help future generations not have the hassle i had

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I installed synergy 2 beta4 on Mac and Linux machines and I have no clue what to do. There are no config options, there is no way I can see anything connection being made between the machines. What am I looking at?

On Ubuntu I can close and reopen the windows but on Mac once I close the windows, I can never get it to open again (or see it). However, I do see these processes running --

• synergd
  • synergy2
  • Synergy

OK I should've RTFM'd. Having said that, I can not now use synergy between the two machines however my Mac's synergy display looks different than Ubuntu's. On Ubuntu I see both machines listed and lit "green" while on Mac I just see the Mac listed and "grey".

Another question I have is that are you going to give option to truly shutdown Synergy on Mac? The processes/daemons restart on their own and I do not find any way to permanently kill them.

One thing that's very important to me is the ability to stop it (completely) or at least pause it. I use a laptop as my main computer and when I'm working remotely, I don't need Synergy to be running as it can be distracting when the cursor goes to another screen that's not currently visible to me.

I know I could unload the service:

launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.symless.synergy.v2.synergyd.plist

still, it's too much work having to manually do it all the time. I could also create a script to make it easier, but the point is, this could be a lot simple if we just have a settings for it.

Edited by golimpio
  • Like 1

The F12 key on an iMac brings up the dashboard with mission control...   And how in heck do you change the server?   Keeps using the wrong mouse...   In any case, hated it.  LOL, sorry.  1.8 back on board.....  And I use alphas and betas ALL the time...   This one particularly rubbed me wrong.  Maybe because it reminded me of those little windows I used to program with the very first version of windows, the ones that did almost nothing but sit and look cute?

BillDavidson4

@tolo

You can change the mission control shortcut in system prefs.  Just need to disable that shortcut.

I may be going to back to 1.8, 2.0 is dead in the water for me.

cartridge cowboy

IMO you should not even release a product in alpha let alone beta if you are missing absolutely BASIC features that were available in the previous version. As it is right now I can't access the control key on my mac (client) when using windows as the server and there is no way to configure it. It makes it unusable. Bugs I can understand, but this is missing core functionality that is required for the software to work. 

GranPaSmurf

A few of us have had to step back to version 1, waiting on beta 5. It should drop soon. Just a reminder, this is not Synergy version 2. It's an incompletely developed beta, downloadable for testing and responding. Beta 4 was one of those things Symless is not going to want to talk about later on. It seemed to do well on Win - Win but sometimes problematic on MAC and downright hostile to Linux distros. Though I understand there are those power-users who have made it work on both. 

Stepping back to version is reasonable, watching for beta 5. It should drop soon. 

If it all is just too much for you, Symless is prompt with refunds, 

[email protected]

cartridge cowboy

Thanks, I won't request a refund because I value the software and I like to support developers but I just think it was a little premature to make it a public beta. I will probably revert to version 1 and keep an eye out for version 2 updates.

• Like 1
DigitalTekkie

Got beta 4 an hour ago and I'm really liking it so far. As that I am a VERY big techie, it freaked me out not having anything that's configurable. And it did NOT work initially, but after running through the easy to read troubleshooting guide, whatever the problem, it was resolved. Win10 used as the server to a Mac and it's going great! It seems like it's smoother which was a bit of an issue with 1.x. .. After reading why Nick went to a none-minimizing to tray workflow, I think it makes perfect sense. And that's probably why it seems smoother, the processes are completely system services. .. Oh and I had my doubts about the new auto detection but sure enough, it eventually worked and it hasn't stopped since. 

Kudos to Nick and the team!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 9:30 AM, BillDavidson4 said:

@tolo

You can change the mission control shortcut in system prefs.  Just need to disable that shortcut.

I may be going to back to 1.8, 2.0 is dead in the water for me.

I had but synergy still wouldn't recognize it even after a restart. And shouldn't have to disable a normal default setting to get software to run... 

Ronnie Barker

The trouble with automatic first is that [I presume] most of the existing user base is techy and, in order to get loads of feedback, Symless need to enthuse them into using the beta. I, for example, use between a PC and a mac and customise my keyboard settings to make the mac / windows CMD / ALT / CTRL etc. keys work better for me. Also, I have 2 NICs (wifi and wired) and set the server/client with different IP addresses and masks to ensure that synergy only works over the wired connection. This gives me 2 features: more reliable comms (whenever I try over wifi I've found it to be flaky) and also I can just stop it connecting and go back to individual control by yanking my wired connection (so when I'm working in the living room on my laptop and my kids play minecraft on my PC, they don't wander off the edge of the screen onto my laptop!!!).

Anyway - my point is that I lose big features trying out 2.0 - so I probably won't be. Perhaps Symless have an alternative method to get early adopters to 2.0 - or I am in a minority...

Alternatively, new features can drag people across too - I looked at the screen and hoped that I would be able to have an offset on the screens as my desktop isn't at the same height as my laptop - but no :-(

Finally, the installer on windows is pants. I think its your login - it requires the 'browser' and took minutes to decide to tell me chrome had to be quit (which, in itself is annoying - it's so 90s to require things to be quit to install in our true multi-tasking world) and then even after quitting, took a few more minutes to actually get on with it. The mac took about 3 seconds to do the full install!!!

On 9/12/2017 at 9:39 AM, Nick Bolton said:

@Rickr1 @z3razerviper What settings do you want to change? We're adding a settings screen soon. Tell us what we should add!

I'd love to see config options where you can tweak where the screens line up to cater moving from large screen to small screen.

or In my case PC with two large monitors on top, with small laptop in middle underneath.

I could use the manual config option of v1 to set the screen mapping proportionally, e.g.:

section: links
	Desktop:
		down(35,65) = Laptop(10,90)
	Laptop:
		up(10,90) = Desktop(35,65)
end

Edited by BlackWhale

I am going to piggyback off of things that have already been said and hop on my own saddle.

I LOVE plug and play with the option of being able to get under the hood if I want to, especially if things are not working as I think they should.

When I develop software it does not leave my desk/team until we have broken it and assured ourselves that nobody should be able to purposefully or accidentally bring our stuffs to a halt.

I think that us not having options to dinker about with is limiting our ability to break the crap out of this so that normal users, who can't really voice what is going on, will not be able to

On 10/10/2017 at 3:33 AM, golimpio said:

One thing that's very important to me is the ability to stop it (completely) or at least pause it. I use a laptop as my main computer and when I'm working remotely, I don't need Synergy to be running as it can be distracting when the cursor goes to another screen that's not currently visible to me.

I know I could unload the service:

launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.symless.synergy.v2.synergyd.plist

still, it's too much work having to manually do it all the time. I could also create a script to make it easier, but the point is, this could be a lot simple if we just have a settings for it.

same here ,where i can vote for this ( and option to disable clipboard sharing )? 

On 13/09/2017 at 4:03 AM, z3razerviper said:

most of us techy people don't trust automatic. Quick question this version is not starting and running in the tray and when I close the main window i stops everthing. Did i do something wrong..it should be in the tray right?

Exactly. Automatic configuration is fine, but I'd like to override settings, like: ports, IP, network interface, encryption, server/client, key-maps, copy/paste, drag/drop, log window display, screen location, tray icon, and such. I'd also like a way to login to the account directly, or use a registration key, without having to do this problematic browser method. What if I had no internet access? Even more important during a beta, as I'd like to adjust settings to trouble-shoot problematic features.

This is the reason I've given up on B4, I can't get it to connect to any of the other clients at all; The Win 2008 server it won't connect, and nor will my Win10 home, even though I see the client on the interface, and that's with stock Windows firewall and AV, the Debian client doesn't even show on the interface, even though it has no firewall other than my router. Trying to read anything in that tiny log window is a pain, and the interface lacks any configuration for me to do anything but check my firewall settings. I've not bothered stuffing around beyond the basic trouble-shooting on the forum, but I'm assuming it needs a port forwarded in my router, which I don't want to do for a service I only want to use locally. Synergy 1 worked perfectly fine for many years, from connecting, encryption, key-maps and did everything I needed it too, and still does everything I need it to do, the GUI just looks a bit old. Only problem I ever had with it was while gaming, it would sometimes screw up certain key-maps, or cause mouse lag, but that was easy to fix by simply using the tray icon to disable the service while I gamed.

On 15/09/2017 at 5:44 PM, Nick Bolton said:

There is no point to minimize to tray because beta4 is always running in the background. The window is now for configuration only, so minimizing it to the tray would be pointless.

That is In your opinion, maybe because you see no use in it, similar to how you feel there is no need for configuration settings. It appears by the existence of this thread, that not everyone feels that it's unnecessary to have some configuration options or a tray icon, no matter how many times you say it's not needed, I still feel that I'm losing option and usability. Personally, I like to have a quick way to tell the status of the service, and disable/enable the service without opening the main window. Being able to change settings via a GUI instead of commandline or config file is also handy.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 29/10/2017 at 12:19 AM, Anach said:

That is In your opinion

You misunderstand. I think there should be a tray icon (as a separate process), but not a "minimize to tray" (that would be pointless).