Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mouse working, but not keyboard

acepelon

I have a Mac server with a Winders 10 Pro client, and every now and again I open some program on my Mac and then my mouse works through Synergy, but my keyboard is always local on my server. I can't figure out what program is causing this behavior. Could be Microsoft Remote Desktop, any one of a couple VPN programs I use (OpenVPN and Big-IP F5) ... a reboot of the Mac server fixes it. Do you have any advice?  Using latest downloads as of today on both client and server.

I saw a previous post about Webroot, but I don't use that.  I haven't installed anything today that might have caused it, and it is pretty infrequent.  I am ready with my facepalmbear.

Edited by acepelon
  • Like 1
Paul Suarez

Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

acepelon

As stated earlier, server is Mac.  Client is Windows 10.  

The Mac is wifi.  Server is ethernet.  See pics for details.

Thank you, Aaron

client1.PNG

client2.PNG

client3.PNG

client4.PNG

server1.png

server2.png

server3.png

server4.png

server5.png

server6.png

Paul Suarez

Can you confirm that 10.1.1.x is for the WiFi network and that 192.168.116.x network only exist for wired network? If so, which network would you want the machines to communicate through?

acepelon

All synergy traffic should be on the 10 network. Mac wireless. Windows wired. They both have interfaces in the 192 net but the client is configured to talk on the 10. 

Paul Suarez

That is why I am asking where each network passes. Let's say if you want to have them communicate through network 10 and network 10 is running through the Ethernet. You can then turn off WiFi on each of the machines first, restart Synergy interface on both and try to connect. You can turn the other networks/interfaces on after they have connected.

acepelon

Windows client has two NICs, both physical.  The only routable network I have to the outside is the 10 network.  192.168.116.x is private and exists only on the backside of these machines.

The MBP as you know has no builtin physical NICs.  I have a Thunderbolt 2 to ethernet adapter on the MBP on the 192.168.116.x side.  The wireless side is the 10 network.  That's what leads out to the router and to the rest of the world.

I disabled the 192 Windows NIC and unplugged the MBP's physical NIC (the Thunderbolt 2 to ethernet adapter) and quit Synergy on both sides.  I then started Synergy on both sides.   No change in Synergy- still the mouse works great on the client, keyboard only works on the MBP (server)

acepelon

I had to reboot the Mac for a security update and, as usual, the problem went away.  I will have to re-open if/ when it comes up again.  Sorry.

Aaron

• 2 years later...
ChrisC_1000

This issue keeps happening for more than 1 year on and off on my mac(server)+win10(client) as well, same type of network connection (mac-wifi, win10-wired).

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
ChrisC_1000
On 7/9/2019 at 5:52 AM, Alexey Pilyaev said:

Hello @Cristiano Cenci

What if you will switch server and client? Can you do that for me and test?

The inverse works fine.

But when I switch back the keyboard keeps not transferring, even after rebooting both client and server.

I haven't replied for so long as this keeps happening on and off, and I haven't been able to find out a pattern that would cause it.

Just to be sure, I have just installed the latest version right now, nothing has changed.

Edited by Cristiano Cenci
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...

This happens to me as well, regularly, several times a week, and has been like the other posters, happening for years. 

This is the single most annoying thing about this software. Given enough time, it stops working. Restarting synergy doesn't help.

Only a reboot of the mac clears it up.

I'm running latest Synergy 1.x. Latest macos. Windows 10. Sharing the keyboard/mouse off the mac.

Can you enable debugging so we can capture info for you? It's easy to reproduce. It's 100% w/in 3 days I will see this problem.

It's the most annoying thing about this software.

I already have a 2.x Pro license. I'd be happy to apply that instead ot fixing this bug.

This kills me every week.

NOTE: This absolutely is not a general networking problem. The machines talk fine to each other, both directions, I ping, use other network apps, file share. It is a software app problem. The mouse works, some communication happens. But when the cursor is moved to the target (Windows 10) machine, the focus never changes from the mac -- it stays on some foreground app. So typing in the keyboard goes to the mac. Meanwhile, the cursor control is fine and is moving around on the Windows machine. The problem seems to be that synergy is confused and does not transfer the keyboard/input focus (even though it has done so with the mouse).

Edited by eddier
more detail

Just updated my Mac (host) to Catalina 10.15 and keyboard has totally stopped working on my Windows 10 PC (client) (mouse working fine). No amount of rebooting solves the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

In one of the past support posts, there were instructions for how to completely remove not only the software, but also all of the settings for both Mac and Windows.  I have had to do that in the past.  I hope that following those instructions would have made Mark-C's reinstall more pleasant.  I know that there have been updates that didn't go smooth in my configurations unless I did a complete uninstall, removing all settings, before reinstalling.

Are the instructions for a complete remove and reinstall pinned somewhere?

Dominique

I'm having the same issue where the mouse goes to the client machines but the keyboard input stays on the server. In my case I have a Mac and a Windows as clients and another Mac as the server. I've tried restarting the software on all three machines with no change in behavior.

I believe the mouse/keyboard difference rules out the network as an issue, and I believe restarting the software with no change rules out the state of the software as an issue, I would suggest the most likely culprit is that OSX is not providing the correct keyboard information to the software, preventing it from forwarding keystrokes to the remote machine.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

@eddier - I just had the same problem with 1Password on my iMac, which is my Synergy server.  When I had the app open, I could not type on my MacBook Pro, which is my Synergy client.  This would have driven me crazy if I had not found your last post.  Thanks!

• Like 1