Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Modifier keys (Shift/Ctrl/Alt/Win) not working in Parallels

Unix Geek

I found the command lines that fixed Parallels when not in "Coherence" mode.

defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy"
defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergyc"

Has anyone found is a similar set of commands to fix Microsoft Remote Desktop?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mohammad Minaie

• Ben R

• Kenneth Persinger

• Lohmeyer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is the response I received from Parallels support, which solved the issue for me in Parallels 14 (I ran the commands while the VM was shut down, but I don't know whether it makes a difference):

I've been meaning to post a reply here for a couple days now.  I don't know what they do different, but Remotix v6 (not v5) on the Mac works flawlessly w/rt the keyboard. For the first time

I don't have parallel but use MS Remote Desktop. Just tried the following and not change: defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy" defaults write com.micros

Posted Images

Unix Geek

What is worse than not being able to type your password? Not being able to switch volumes on a Windows server.

Try typing "f:" over an RDP session on a synergy client system. !!FAIL!!

Edited by Unix Geek
spelling
  • 2 months later...

For Synergy 2, the command is:

defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy-core"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to LiQing,   I found what works for me.

I am Win10(home pc) => Mac Catalina(work laptop) => Parallels Win10..   Using Synergy 1.11.1 

I tried the 2 following commands and they did not work.

• defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy"
  • defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergyc"

Then I came across LiQing's post.   he is using com.parallels.Parallels Desktop  and not 'com.microsoft.rdc.macos'.

Since I am using 1.11  i applied it to synergyc and then synergy.   however this still didnt work.

I decided to 'read' the 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' and grep for synergy.   It only saved 1 entry for this key.   and the  last one i used was just synergy.  so I applied it to synergyc again (i verified this is the process for my synergy client) and voila, it worked.

So in my case..  the following command worked :

defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergyc"
  • 1 year later...