Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Modifier keys (Shift/Ctrl/Alt/Win) not working in Parallels

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mohammad Minaie

• Ben R

• Kenneth Persinger

• Lohmeyer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is the response I received from Parallels support, which solved the issue for me in Parallels 14 (I ran the commands while the VM was shut down, but I don't know whether it makes a difference):

I've been meaning to post a reply here for a couple days now.  I don't know what they do different, but Remotix v6 (not v5) on the Mac works flawlessly w/rt the keyboard. For the first time

I don't have parallel but use MS Remote Desktop. Just tried the following and not change: defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy" defaults write com.micros

Posted Images

I'm having the same annoying problem. The modifier keys don't respond at all in Parallels VM.
We'd appreciate if the synergy team could take this issue as a priority.

Thank you.

Same issue here.

I was able to get something working by making my mac the server and moving my preferred keyboard over, but I am sure that's not a solution for everyone. 

Bumping here.  I'm having the same problem here.  Windows 10 Synergy server, Mac Client.   Synergy interacting with the native macOS works fine, but Modifier keys cease to work if I lauch any "remote control" type software on the Mac.  Specifically:  VNC, Dell's iDrac remote control tools, etc all fail to pass modifier keys through to the target.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There was a pull request a while back which attempted to fix this. People without access to that repo now can't see what happened to it, however the patch can still be seen in the fork.

It may not be the prime solution, but it is a method the team can look at to perhaps start understanding the root cause of the issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Mohammad Minaie

Looks like there is a similar type of issue here.

It's not exactly the same seeing as this is an RDP session but it's extremely similar.

• 1 month later...

Been a Synergy user for years.  Using the current 1.10.2 I believe.  Got my first mac, a MacBook Pro, and today I can say I've been using Parallels for a total of 24 hours.  This is the first time I've had something this frustrating in years. :)    All is well with the Mac, running Mojave, all is well with the windows 10 Pro VM I just installed.  All is well with my Linux desktop which is the Synergy server.  But Nothing is well with using synergy to the windows 10 VM running in Parallels.  I can't type my password without the SHIFT keys above the numbers.

Sure would be nice to find a solution. I've spent all day trying every parallels tweak I could find on the net, so came to synergys forum.  Sad to see I'm not alone with this. I was counting on you guys to have figured this out already so I could just make a quick change and everything would be good. :)

Looks like I'll just watch for thread updates.

• 2 months later...

Any solutions or workarounds? This is very frustrating as I just got this software yesterday and was so happy to eliminate all my KVM cables.  I work in Parallels and Remote Desktop for most of the day so this is incredibly frustrating.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't map shift on the virtual machine. I can't solve the keys such as a lt. I even thought that only I had this problem. So I reset my virtual machine and macOS. For those of us who do n’t know the code, it is really difficult to find the problem, so we also consulted apple. And pd

Edited by daniel lp
Kenneth Persinger

I've been meaning to post a reply here for a couple days now. 

I don't know what they do different, but Remotix v6 (not v5) on the Mac works flawlessly w/rt the keyboard.

For the first time in forever I can use the shift key on my mac (the synergy client).

My advice to the devs:

Talk to the Remotix ppl and find out what they changed between v5 and v6 w/rt the keyboard input.

It wont provide an instant fix, but it may go a long way to helping Synergy deal w/ keyboard input better.

• Like 1
12分钟前,肯尼斯Persinger说:

我一直现在在这里发表回复几天。 

我不知道他们做什么不同,但在Mac上Remotix V6(未V5)的作品完美W /室温键盘。

对于永远在第一时间我可以用我的Mac上的Shift键(协同客户端)。

我的建议是给开发者:

聊到Remotix脂肪酶,并找出他们V5和V6之间的变化是什么瓦特/ RT键盘输入。

它不会提供即时修复,但它可能会很长的路要走,以帮助协同处理瓦特/键盘输入更好。

hello Hi Kenneth, I have been watching your post. Has your issue been resolved?

I hope that the staff of synergy can see this message to help us solve this problem. This problem has really bothered me for several days. I can't use my friend's computer when I install it. I've changed the keyboard area and tried all the ways for the United States to find on Google

在2019年12月31日在上午06时18分,肯尼斯Persinger说:

我一直现在在这里发表回复几天。 

我不知道他们做什么不同,但在Mac上Remotix V6(未V5)的作品完美W /室温键盘。

对于永远在第一时间我可以用我的Mac上的Shift键(协同客户端)。

我的建议是给开发者:

聊到Remotix脂肪酶,并找出他们V5和V6之间的变化是什么瓦特/ RT键盘输入。

它不会提供即时修复,但它可能会很长的路要走,以帮助协同处理瓦特/键盘输入更好。

您好肯尼思·您好,我一直在看您的文章。您的问题是否得到了解决?

不知道工作人员有看到这条问题吗! 迫切的等待回复和解决方案

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Richard D said:
Here is the response I received from Parallels support, which solved the issue for me in Parallels 14 (I ran the commands while the VM was shut down, but I don't know whether it makes a difference):

To resolve the issue please, open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and execute the following commands:

defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy"
defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergyc"

I don't have parallel but use MS Remote Desktop. Just tried the following and not change:

defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy"
defaults write com.microsoft.rdc.macos 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergyc"

• Thanks 1
Chekhov's Chainsaw
3 hours ago, Richard D said:

To resolve the issue please, open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and execute the following commands:

defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergy"
defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Allowed Sources' "synergyc"

This is remarkable! I had all but given up on getting synergy to work and just decided to google this issue that I've been following for *months* and despite this thread having been read, I checked your post, made just *three hours* before I saw it, and it works *perfectly*!

Thank you sir for sharing your information. This should go in the official docs for synergy.

I do want to point out the minor detail: I ran this command while the VM was running, and it did not take effect. I "quit" synergy (which saves the VM state) and after resuming it, it worked.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, Chekhov's Chainsaw said:

This is remarkable! I had all but given up on getting synergy to work and just decided to google this issue that I've been following for *months* and despite this thread having been read, I checked your post, made just *three hours* before I saw it, and it works *perfectly*!

Thank you sir for sharing your information. This should go in the official docs for synergy.

I do want to point out the minor detail: I ran this command while the VM was running, and it did not take effect. I "quit" synergy (which saves the VM state) and after resuming it, it worked.

Worked for me too

• 4 weeks later...
Richard D

@Mohammad Minaie I was given those commands by Parallels support after creating a support ticket with them.

An update: I discovered that the commands I provided above do not fix Parallels when running in coherence, only when my VM is running in its own window.

• 1 month later...
Unix Geek

I have slammed into this problem head on. I am a new user. I got Synergy as part of my work at home plan as a result of COVID-19. I am a system administrator so I RDP into machines all the time. If I could just SSH into Windows and get my job done I wouldn't have a problem but I can't. Some stuff requires the GUI. I have a capital letter and a special character from a top row key in my password and that works for the sign in popup window. Once on the remote system I cannot type capital letters nor do I have access to any of the characters that require the shift key. I can work around the capital letters by using the Caps lock key.. I also have several VMs; Windows, MacOS, an Linux running under Parallels and I can't log in. Again there is a capital letter and a special top row character in the password. This is crippling my ability to get work done. I either have to open the laptop up and it is not in a good place to do that or haul out a second keyboard, plug it in and try to find somewhere to put it. My reason for buying Synergy is defeated for just a few characters a day.

You are smart people you should be able to fix this after 2 years of people reporting it.

Really it is important to do sooner rather than later.