Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Can't connect to server because of Time out error

A few days ago, I purchased synergy, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

I have set up the client as described in the knowledge base article, but my client keeps saying: 'Warning: failed to connect to server: Timed out'

I read somewhere that it may have something to do with the firewall, so I made sure that no authentication is required between my desktop and PC.

This is the server (my desktop):

qmwYXCV.png

And this is the client (my laptop): 

1KmDPww.png

Paul Suarez

Hi @Chrizz. It appears to be that each machine is connected to a different network from where the other one is connected. Since server has 192.168.0.3 and client has 192.168.1.17. Can you describe how both machines are connected to the network (Wi-Fi, LAN, etc...)? If you are using two routers, are you connecting the other one behind the other router?

My desktop is connected via ethernet and my laptop is connected via wifi.

It's possible that they may be connected through different routers, I don't know how this is wired. 

Is it possible for synergy to work across two networks?

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Suarez
13 minutes ago, Chrizz said:

Is it possible for synergy to work across two different networks?

That depends on how the two networks are connected/interacts with each other. Is there a different router/access point which generates the Wi-Fi network? or is it also coming from the same router where the wired network originates?

The wifi and ethernet are connected to different boxes, but those two boxes are connected to each other. I don't know how exactly.

Paul Suarez

That might be tricky. It could be connected to a different router or gateway which then controls how the networks created by each of the boxes communicates. It could also be cascaded, like the other box is connected at the back of the other one. Are you on a work network?

I made pictures of how everything is wired. I annotated the screenshots. When I say 'coming in', I refer to the cables that I annotated as 'going out' in the previous screenshot.

Paul Suarez

I'm still confused as to how your network is set up. It might be helpful if you could illustrate it by creating a simple network map.

Example:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.PNG.6f7879e8d98a64eea436e091a22cbf56.PNG

• 5 months later...

I solved it. The problem was that my laptop was connected via wifi to the modem/router combo. My desktop was connected to a router which had a different IP than the modem/router combo. I switched the cable from the router to the modem/router combo and now it's working perfectly.

Edited by Chrizz