Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Starting Synergy on Boot/Login for MacOS Sierra 10.12

Hey everyone,

I'm using my Windows machine as a server and my Mac as a client, I want to start Synergy at login for the Mac so I no longer have to use a separate keyboard and mouse only for logging into the Mac before using my Windows keyboard and mouse.

Please advise if you know how to get Synergy running at login/bootup for macOS Sierra 10.12

• 2 weeks later...
Augusto Santa Cruz

Hi there,

You might want to try the following:

Add or remove automatic items

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Select your user account, then click Login Items at the top of the window.

3. Do one of the following:

• Add a login item: Click the Add button IL_AddListItem_osx.png below the list of items, select a document, folder, app, server, or other item, then click Add.

• Remove a login item: Select the name of the item you want to prevent from opening automatically, then click the Remove button IL_DeleteListItem_osx.png below the list.

• Hide a login item: If you don’t want an item’s windows to be visible after login, select the Hide checkbox next to the item.

Note: Hide does not apply to servers, which always appear in the Finder after login.

Temporarily prevent items from opening automatically when you log in

• If you see the login window, press the Shift key while you click the Log In button, then release the Shift key when you see the Dock.

• If you don’t see the login window, restart your Mac, hold down the Shift key when you see the progress bar in the startup window, then release the Shift key after the desktop appears.

Source: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25590?locale=en_US

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Gary Dauphin

Failed for me.  My problem is not that it does not open at login, it does that just fine.  The program launches, but the App does not START looking for a server (or acting as a server) until I manually click the START button.  Then it works just fine.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Sanjiyan

Hi Gary,

Did you ever manage to sort this out? I have the same problem.

I use a windows master, and a macos as a client, I have made the synergy auto start on the mac, but I have to manually click 'Start' on the mac.

I bought this software so I can run my macbook in clamshell mode, without a keyboard or mouse so having to open the mac each time I need to use the macbook via the external screen defeats the point of having it.

• Like 1
Gary Dauphin
19 minutes ago, Sanjiyan said:

Hi Gary,

Did you ever manage to sort this out? I have the same problem.

I use a windows master, and a macos as a client, I have made the synergy auto start on the mac, but I have to manually click 'Start' on the mac.

I bought this software so I can run my macbook in clamshell mode, without a keyboard or mouse so having to open the mac each time I need to use the macbook via the external screen defeats the point of having it.

Yea, the hard way.  I had to completely remove Synergy from all three of my machines, reboot and reinstall, setup a different machine as server, then reconfigure everything by IP address.  For some reason, I could not consistently get DNS names to work for servers or clients.  It all works fine now, but I hope they clean all of this up in the next major version.  The original version just seemed to work from the start...

Sanjiyan

Thanks,

i am guessing you use synergy 1?

how about if you do not have DNS and only use DHCP addresses? as I plan to use this at home. 

I am currently using the basic autoconf open via bonjour. 

So giving the two machines a fixed IP is not ideal. 

Any ideas?

Edited by Sanjiyan