Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

SSL should be available at all purchase levels

bocajnotnef
Copied from: https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issu ... -101663398 [quote]Currently, SSL is only available in the Pro tier and not the basic tier. This seems rather backwards to me, as encryption should always be available. While I understand that significant effort is required to maintain and support security, in a KVM security is absolutely essential--regardless of the level of support or use--because anything typed by the user will be sent across the network. This will almost certainly include usernames, passwords, contents of communications, etc. which should all be encrypted. Thoughts?[/quote] @gregsheremeta said: [quote]+1[/quote] @VeNoMouS said: [quote]So.... lemme get this straight... you want new features... but you don't want to help support the developers adding these changes?[/quote] In response to @VeNoMouS: No, that's not it at all. First, SSL isn't a new feature, it's already implemented in the codebase. Second, I'm happy to pay for the basic version of the software but I don't need nor want the level of support offered by the pro version. Third, my point is that security is not optional in a KVM, as it is all but guaranteed that sensitive information will be sent from server to client and it isn't safe to assume that simply being on a local network is safe enough. All interactions between server and client should be encrypted.
I don’t see what your problem is here, :? the pro version of the software is only a one off payment of $29. I’m a Scotsman and even I think this is a steal! :roll: Raid yer piggy bank an treat yerself yah tight git! ;) Don't you just love smillies? :)
Ben Koenig
The whole reason a company offers a "Pro" version is for business customers. Features such as extended tech support or encryption are industry standard for any Pro license. As for a program running on the network without encryption, that's why a company goes Pro! :D We all run unencrypted software on our home networks all the time, nothing bad happens, right? I don't need SSL to ditch that old PS/2 kvm box hogging space on my hobby bench! :lol: The Pro license supports future development of the software ( read: when users contribute Synergy develops much faster ). :arrow: And once you have it you get all these Kool Smileys! 8-)