Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy for Android and Samsung DeX

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Turbo123

• UnixOutlaw

• ChinTech

• TheDoctor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello, I was just wondering if y'all have any plans to add Android compatibility to Synergy? I have an android tablet, and also now with the introduction of Samsung DeX would like to use that with my

There is a similar apk https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.floriandraschbacher.deskdock.free&hl=en but it doesn't work that well and is not as feature rich as synergy.  +1 on ha

Just wanted to let you know the android and Samsung Dex would still be great additions.  I realize this thread started over 5 years ago but both android & Samsung have continued to move into daily

Posted Images

I use Unified Remote https://www.unifiedremote.com/ to control the PC screen from an Android, and it is possible to use multiple Android devices concurrently each running the application. Unified Remote and Synergy are not compatible with each other, however. It would be good if the functions of Unified Remote were to be incorporated in Synergy or, failing that, for the two applications to be used at the same time. 

TheDoctor

It still requires a rooted devices, Since I do not have any devices that are not rooted and I rewrite and build a custom rom  for them. It is not on my todo list.

• Thanks 1
Saulo Augusto Silva

Hi ,

I downloaded the package in my ROOTED Samsung Note 2014 tablet , but I was not able to install your app to test .

I opened a android terminal and type adb install synergy.apk ( at same directory where Synergy.apk is , of course ) It did not finish the install . The error is : device not found . I am new at android root experience , but have a lot of linux experience , can you help me ?

Saulo

• 2 months later...

After getting frustrated with a buggy USB KVM I decided to eliminate it out of the mix. I feel like this is the perfect setup for now until we get Synergy.

Fast Mode Switching USB/Bluetooth K/M
Keyboard:https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g613-wireless-mechanical-gaming-keyboard
USB: https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g603-lightspeed-wireless-gaming-mouse
This allows for independent fast switching. It also removes the touch pad function from the screen.

I use this for touch interface replacement: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CX85I8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This mini keyboard comes in handy as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C1MX4QP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...

I have had Synergy for years and it had been a great companion for working on the go. The ability to link up both my laptop and Windows tablet to share input and clipboard increased my digital workspace greatly! It would most certainly a very big bonus if there can be an android version where I can substitute my Windows tablet for a much bigger screen and less power hungry android tablet! +1 Vote from me too! 

For DeX, my ideal mode would be to have the host on it and run clients on tablets! So in any case, please give me android client!

• 2 months later...
Gregregorovich

+1

Clipboard sync would be really nice - but ability to control even my Android phone would also be great as I usually have it near my PC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
UnixOutlaw

Can't afford a new Samsung device to try out DeX (i.e. Linux on DEx) - however - for quite some time I've been running MaruOS on my Nexus 5 handset - through to a SlimPort adaptor to HDMI monitor.

MaruOs works as a "chroot" Linux environment under Android 6.x - with a "full" XFCE desktop environment (ostensibly Debian Jessie on ARM).

I successfully got Synergy 1.4 client installed and working in this setup (with a Synergy 1.6x server), i.e. on MaruOS on my Nexus 5 (hammerhead).

I have no idea how DeX works...  but I'm only interested in running a full Linux desktop over DEX anyway - perhaps one day if Samsung keep it going...  probably the only reason I'd go for another Samsung device would be if I could run a Linux desktop on my phone handset (don't need to see it on the handset screen) - but it's limited to Note 9 and one of the tabs...

On 1/1/2019 at 10:09 PM, UnixOutlaw said:

Can't afford a new Samsung device to try out DeX (i.e. Linux on DEx) - however - for quite some time I've been running MaruOS on my Nexus 5 handset - through to a SlimPort adaptor to HDMI monitor.

MaruOs works as a "chroot" Linux environment under Android 6.x - with a "full" XFCE desktop environment (ostensibly Debian Jessie on ARM).

I successfully got Synergy 1.4 client installed and working in this setup (with a Synergy 1.6x server), i.e. on MaruOS on my Nexus 5 (hammerhead).

I have no idea how DeX works...  but I'm only interested in running a full Linux desktop over DEX anyway - perhaps one day if Samsung keep it going...  probably the only reason I'd go for another Samsung device would be if I could run a Linux desktop on my phone handset (don't need to see it on the handset screen) - but it's limited to Note 9 and one of the tabs...

Not just a Note 9 and Tab 4... you can get it on the S9 variants as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have tried running synergy 1.x and 2.x on Linux on Dex on my Note 8, but no love connecting to server.  While i would prefer to use synergy it doesn't seem possible, in the meantime i am running a combo of across center which uses bluetooth to share mouse/keyboard from my synergy server. In case anyone is wanting a temporary solution until synergy works.

• 3 weeks later...
Maurizio

That would be awesome, I have a P20 Pro, it uses EMUI, 

I used to use the old port for synergy on android: https://sourceforge.net/projects/synergyandroid/ I can connect it, but I cannot see the mouse and keyboard integration, 

the project seemed discontinued since 3 years, it would be awesome if someone would pick it up and continue developing it

Thanks

• 4 months later...

This is kind of not needed for me at this time, The new Samsung One UI supports a Windows Desktop with full sandbox emulation of the dex system through windows. I have a secondary Windows computer already so when my Note 9 is updated with the new OneUI 2.0 I'll have my phone plugged into my second desktop and just Synergy over. I really recommend anyone update the new dex on windows looks sick!

• 9 months later...
UnixOutlaw

Happy "owner" of Synergy Pro since 2018 - use it everywhere - at work (across Windows and Linux desktop) and at home (across Linux on Intel/AMD/ARM) and really happy with it, and worth every cent...  

Samsung killed off Linux on DeX (thanks Samsung!) - but I recently cross-graded from a Nokia 4.2 to an e-bay Galaxy S9+, and DeX even without Linux is great - in DeX on a 27" monitor, I can Citrix or RDP to customer sites, run SSH terminal sessions in Termux, but now I need two mice and two keyboards on my desk.  Tried DeskShare, but gave up trying to get the server feature working in Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 on AMD desktop PC) - never got it to pair... 

Synergy would be the killer app here...  thinking of buying one of those Logitech mice that autoswitch between Android and a PC (no idea if this will work in Linux) - I've also got a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that can pair to up to 3 devices...  and also got a new Lenovo Thinkpad II (with trackpoint) wireless keyboard on the way...  and I use a Lenovo Thinkpad USB keyboard (with trackpoint) at home and at work, so I'd rather keep working with having cursor control from the keyboard (vs using the Logitech bluetooth switching solution) - with the option of using a mouse for comfort (but I really only want one small keyboard, and one small mouse, on my desk at any one time).

But - I'd way rather do this in software, so when my S9 is in DeX mode, whether at home or in the office, I just mouse over to its screen...  no idea how hard that would be... fingers crossed....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd pay extra for this feature - and I'd happily pay for any app in the Play Store...

I'm currently Dex'ing my S9 via a Nexdoc 2 - but I'd rather just use Synergy to control Dex...