Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Installing Synergy Pro on Rasbian (Pasbery pi2)

George Broodryk
i have problems to install synergy on my rasberry pi... have followed a document that helps me install synergy on my rasberry but does not seem to be working... and/or the files it points me to go do things does not exist and its an older version than what i have on my windows server side.. :mrgreen: https://learn.adafruit.com/synergy-on-r ... r-raspbian is the webside i used for installation and it seems to be recently updated but i dont know :? i hope anyone can help me in this problem rasberry pi running on Rasbian wich seems to be "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment"
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
Ah, sorry, we don't build for Raspberry Pi. It took about 3 hours to build and hardly anyone used it so we dropped official support. We considered setting up an ARM virtual machine to build, but that idea fell by the wayside. Would you like help building it yourself?
I would like maybe a tutorial on building it, I am sure I am going to be using Synergy on my Pi soon. There are so many things you can do with it.
Matthew Moore
Just a guide on how to compile Synergy on the Pi would be fantastic. Ones out there just seem to be outdated and no longer work
James Blake
I'm also interested in setting up version 1.7 with ssl as a client on the pi. A month ago, I successfully compiled version 1.6 using the instructions that I found on adafruit . Unfortunately, I'm getting compiling errors on version 1.7. Any tips/instructions would be greatly appreciated.
Rustygears
[quote="James Blake"]I'm also interested in setting up version 1.7 with ssl as a client on the pi. A month ago, I successfully compiled version 1.6 using the instructions that I found on adafruit . Unfortunately, I'm getting compiling errors on version 1.7. Any tips/instructions would be greatly appreciated.[/quote] +1 to the above. My cmake for 1.7.2 failed when it evidently was trying to find curl libraries, despite curl already being installed. Seems like the script is broken. I'd like to use this official version rather than the Debian distro of "simple Synergy".
Ben Koenig
Might be a minor problem, but 1.7.2 doesn't compile on Slackware 14.1. It finds the installed curl library with cmake, but fails during compile with undefined references in said library. It could be that Slackware is shipping an older version of curl, but I thought it would be worth mentioning PI users often run non-standard Distros. EDIT: A compile guide would be great, ARM doesn't have to be a supported architecture but if some folks want to fiddle the PI hackers would be the first to jump in! :lol:
I have seen a lot of positive feedback from the adafruit guide, so I would suggest posting the output errors here so we can help figure out how to get through them.
  • 2 months later...
Uwe Weddige
Managed to compile the current version of synergy (v1.7.3 stable) for Raspberry Pi 2, currently running on Raspian with Win 7 as server. If of any interest, I would certainly like to share the compiled files, just would need some filespace for upload... ;-) Greetings and thanks to the Synergy team, I'm very grateful for your great software!!! Best wishes from Germany Uwe
BeatCheat
[quote="Uwe Weddige"] If of any interest, I would certainly like to share the compiled files, just would need some filespace for upload... ;-) [/quote] I would be glad if you share your assembly, thanks in advance.
  • 4 weeks later...
I am very interested in getting an executable Synergy for the current Raspberry Pi Raspbian OS. How can I help you deliver this? Thanks, Norm Lane
  • 1 month later...
D van den Ouden
I just finished building and installing the latest version (1.7.4 rc8) on my RPi2, based on https://github.com/synergy/synergy/wiki ... x_Mac_OS_X And it works great! It's such a relief not having to switch mouse and keyboard all the time ;) I downloaded the source tar.gz from the download page to my windows box and then transferred it to the downloads directory on my RPi using WinSCP. first get all the prerequisites (haven't tested this on a clean RPi install, so I may have missed some dependencies) [code]sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get install gcc cmake libx11-dev libxtst-dev qt4-dev-tools libcurl4-openssl-dev libssl-dev libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev[/code] then extract the synergy sources and compile them [code]cd ~/downloads sudo tar -xzf synergy-v1.7.4-stable-c734bab-Source.tar.gz cd synergy-v1.7.4-rc8-c734bab-Source sudo ./hm.sh conf -g1 sudo ./hm.sh build[/code] This takes about an hour, after that, manually install the binaries [code]sudo cp -a ./bin/. /usr/bin[/code] Now make synergy start automatically by following these steps: https://learn.adafruit.com/synergy-on-r ... -autostart in my case, I had no ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE directory, instead it is named LXDE-pi, I used that and it works fine In case the link above goes dead: [code]sudo touch ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart[/code] add the following line to the end of the file: [code]~/.startsynergy.sh[/code] save and exit nano (ctrl + x, enter) [code]sudo nano ~/.startsynergy.sh[/code] Add the following to the script: [code] #!/bin/bash killall synergyc sleep 1 synergyc --name pi 192.168.0.16 exit 0[/code] Where pi will be the name of the synergy client, and the IP address matches your synergy server. save and exit nano [code]sudo chmod 777 ~/.startsynergy.sh[/code] All done! (of course you'll need to add the client 'pi' to your synergy server and restart it) [b]update 2016-01-05:[/b] just compiled and installed [b]1.7.5[/b] on my RPi's, no problems at all :D [b]update 2016-03-29:[/b] no problems with [b]1.7.6[/b] either
  • 1 year later...