Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

1.7.6 Crashing Often, Leaves System Nearly Unusable

Digital Copywrite
1.7.5 was relatively stable, but 1.7.6 crashes all the time and I can't tell why. I quite often get the (seemingly) clipboard-related crash that is mentioned [url=http://synergy-project.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1434]here[/url], for the past few builds, but this is now (I think) a different bug. On crash, the mouse is completely frozen to interaction (or has a ~30s lag time--hard to tell exactly). Ctrl-Alt-Del eventually works, and frees the cursor entirely. Open task manager works, the mouse cursor is impossible to use again, but I can scroll through (sometimes with more lag sometimes none at all) and get to the context menu to manually quit synergys.exe, then the system returns to normal. Usually also locks synwinhk.dll. (I have an unlocker installed that I use on average ~6 times a day for synergy only, between this and other crashes). To be fair, the server in this instance is a corporate machine with a bunch of corporate crapware installed that may be contributing to instability (between symantec, viewfinity, and others). I have less issues (but far from none) when using Mac OS as the server, when I'm in a different location. Server: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Client: Mac OS X 10.11 Synergy Version: 1.7.6 From Windows App Log: Faulting application name: synergys.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x568ab5e3 Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000 Faulting process id: 0x22b8 Faulting application start time: 0x01d1b5037b5df098 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Synergy\synergys.exe Faulting module path: unknown Report Id: 69507582-20fc-11e6-bdc0-00059a3c7a00 Instability is one thing, but this particular crash leave the system NOT frozen, but in a nearly unusable state. I'd be ecstatic if Synergy failed less often, but even if it did, it needs to fail more gracefully than it currently does. It's gotten to the point that Synergy is so unstable I spend almost an hour per day trying to get it working after crashes. I've been using synergy for nearly a decade now, and I've contributed money to the project. It is unbelievably helpful when it works, but lately it has been the most unstable software I use on a regular basis, by far. How can we help improve this situation?