Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Full screen gaming and Synergy

I've noticed is that when I'm playing a full-screen game, every so often, without fail, my PC "tabs out" of the game. In other words, my full-screen game suddenly and randomly is no longer my live application, and I'm just tabbed out to the desktop. I'm pretty confident that Synergy is at fault, because as soon as I end the process, this problem goes away. I was just hoping you have a solution for this.
GAH! I hate that too. It's synergy and unfortunately it's doing what it's supposed to do, and so is the game. Any full screen app can have that issue. It's basically like using the windows key or alt-tab and changing focus. There are a few workarounds. One is to run the game in windowed mode, but in full screen. This is what I do and although the mouse will still move to the other computer, it isn't as disruptive. The other fix, and one that is more game friendly, but less "everything else" friendly is to configure the server so "Don't take foreground window on Windows servers". this is under Configure Server->Advanced server settings->options->"Don't take foreground window on Windows servers". We hope that helps!
TheMartyJoy
I've never had it cause a game to kick out of fullscreen mode but it does tend to randomly at times just want to put the cursor in the middle of my main monitor. If none of the answers above helped you, could I ask you for some details? Are you using more the one monitor on the machine playing the game? Is that machine the client or server? Also is the game running on what windows (sorry to assume but you said gaming so I'm assuming you are in windows) would consider your PRIMARY display? To clarify my main pc has a keyboard and a mouse that I use to do everyday things, and I use synergy to share a remote to that pc (IE I use my keyboard and mouse + the inputs provided by synergy).
Squelch
The method that is used to switch screens might be important. It is very easy to double tap, and similarly to linger on the "live" edge of the screen while gaming if either of those two methods are in use. As suggested above, I use some key combinations to either switch or lock the cursor to the screen in question for full control over this situation. My configuration is this: - Dual monitor server (main screen on right) client to right of main screen Free movement between server and client for everyday use. Under "Configure Server -> Hotkeys: Hotkeys = Actions Control+Alt+\ = lockCursorToScreen(toggle) Control+\ = switchInDirection(right) Alt+\ = switchInDirection(left) I find these key combos to rarely clash with any ingame keystrokes. I find these to be conveniently close, and easily pressed if I need to switch quickly, but others may be of more use to you. Gaming keyboards often come with macro keys that can also be used. Used in combination with the "don't take focus" option, and/or "run in background" game option - varies with title - having the screen minimise is never an issue. In fact, I've had more problems preventing a full screen game minimising when moving to my second monitor.
  • 4 months later...
Justin Pater
Hey Everyone, I am running an ASUS desktop PC as my server (on the right) and a Macbook pro as my client (on the left). I am having the same sort of issue with "tabbing" out when I'm the edge of the screen. Does anyone have a fix to this? If so, is there a tutorial YouTube video or something alone those lines? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Justin
  • 2 months later...
Robert Understein
If your refering to tabbing out, as in the main screen goes to desktop. In server configuration ..Advanced server settings.. "Don't take foreground window on windows servers" is what you are looking for.
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...
Bradyn Claycomb
On 4/28/2015 at 4:39 AM, the-wes said:

Also, you can use "Scroll Lock" to temporarily tell Synergy to not switch screens while playing.

Holy cow that is incredibly helpful. This totally solved my issues!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/8/2015 at 8:37 AM, Robert Understein said:

If your refering to tabbing out, as in the main screen goes to desktop. In server configuration ..Advanced server settings.. "Don't take foreground window on windows servers" is what you are looking for.

This solved the issue for me as I use both a Mac and PC at the same time. Thank you!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
TheSandlapper
On 4/28/2015 at 4:39 AM, the-wes said:

Also, you can use "Scroll Lock" to temporarily tell Synergy to not switch screens while playing.

Praise be.  This man is better than all of us.  Thank you sir.