Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Share audio from one computer to another

Rob Dennison
Yes this would be pretty good, but realistically the delay would be unbearable for movies or communication, I suppose it might be pretty cool for music or just general audio feedback though!

Not true. I also have a license for Multiplicity (was Stardock, now EdgeRunner), and I don't notice any audio lag. Both machines are connected to the same gigabit switch, so that probably helps, but I can be working on the server machine and have iTunes playing music or watch youtube videos on the client machines without any noticable lag.

Kay Zastrutzki

Not true. I also have a license for Multiplicity (was Stardock, now EdgeRunner), and I don't notice any audio lag. Both machines are connected to the same gigabit switch, so that probably helps, but I can be working on the server machine and have iTunes playing music or watch youtube videos on the client machines without any noticable lag.

Yup, same boat here! I've been happily using Multiplicity for mouse and audio sharing between 2 windows PC's. The audio function on that one is great. Mouse, however, has been extremely laggy since I upgraded my 2nd PC to Server 2016 evaluation, so I've been looking for a replacement. I bought Synergy a long time ago, so gave that another whirl. Mouse is great, but without the audio... So now I'm running both, which I'm not a fan of.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Christopher Hall

+1 for an audio sync feature, read through forums before posting this myself... currently juggling two sets of headphones throughout the day.

Chris

• 1 month later...

+1 For Audio sync, +2 to add microphone as well.

I use multiple machines, Mac an Windows and Linux for development, would like to be able to take calls on any of them using the same set of headphones connected to the master machine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Samuel Tønnessen

I think being able to play sounds from the client on the server would be useful, as well as granting the client access to the server's webcam and microphone - preferably after asking me first.

Being able to choose what sounds from the client is being played on the server could be useful as well. For example, I might want it to play system sounds using it's own speakers instead so I can easily tell which computer wants my attention.

• Paul Suarez changed the title to Share audio from one computer to another
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Nixellion

+1

It would be extremely useful and complement Synergy's functionality.

I have 2 PCs on my desktop, and I always switch between them, but I also have to switch headphones whenever I need to listen to something on another PC.

Currently I've set everything up for sharing, 1 out of 3 monitors (main one) is shared by switching it's inputs, keyboard\mous shared with synergy, but for audio I still yet to find a solution. Currently I just have 2 headphones, and I switch them, but I'd like to have some sort of KVM. I could use my monitors headphone jack, but in this case I will lose the benefit of a good audio card on my server PC.

There are alternatives, both hardware and software, but having this feature built into synergy would be awesome.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe this can be included into v2? It would be very useful if you can just redirect the sound to your loud speakers or a better position for attaching your headphones or so...

Also what is the proper way to upvote feature requests? Posting +1 here and now does not really work...

• 8 months later...
ByeongKeon Kim

I hope to know the current progress regarding audio support.
I'm thinking that I'm going to implement this feature.

• 4 weeks later...
snaptastic

+1, even just for simple two-channel audio output. A delay of a few milliseconds would be fine by me.

I suggested this a long time ago (probably 10 years) to the development team and was given a blunt and unimaginative "there are other tools for that" response.

snaptastic

Actually, I found the email, from 2007:

"this has been suggested before.  i believe there are programs that will transfer the sound though, of course, they're not hooked up to synergy."

Have the devs' opinions changed on this?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ByeongKeon Kim

I've never heard pulseaudio. However, from the beginning, I've felt that it might be already solved. :-(

Let's use pulseaudio, rather than duplicated work. :-)

ps : Why I can't edit my previous post?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...