Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Problems using Synergy with Games

Patrick Brockway

Hey folks,

I've had this same issue and have been attempting to troubleshoot it for a while. It seems to be an issue that happens while playing any game involving a mouselook camera. I've had this happen in games like WoW, For Honor, Elder Scrolls Online, and others. The best breakdown of what's happening comes from a post made on this reddit link: 

"What's happening under the hood to cause the problem is that when you're using mouselook in WoW, WoW hides the mouse pointer and then constantly moves the invisible pointer to the center of the screen; so that when you move the mouse in any direction it can measure how far you moved the invisible mouse pointer away from the center and translate that movement into the corresponding camera motion. After it turns the camera, it puts the cursor back in the center of the screen again so it can continue to measure it (it has to put the cursor constantly back in the center so that the cursor never bumps up against the edge of the screen, which would result in a movement WoW couldn't measure since it can only measure how you've moved the mouse by how far the mouse pointer has moved).

Some mouse enhancement software gets in the way of that act of moving the pointer back to the center of the screen by incorrectly applying the 'acceleration' after the pointer's been moved back home; so what happens then is WoW thinks it put the mouse pointer back, then when it next looks at the pointer position, it sees it's not in the center and can only assume you moved it there very quickly from where it put the cursor in the center of the screen, and so it very quickly adjusts the camera to compensate for the move it thinks you made. This basically has the effect that your mouselook camera movement will get amplified many times over very quickly, which results in you either looking straight up or straight down and having spun around quite a bit. This can happen all the time, or it can happen occasionally, depending on how exactly the mouse enhancement software is screwing with the mouse pointer.

(This behavior of implementing mouselook isn't unique to WoW. Lots of games do it. And it's why whenever you see those neat mouse tracking maps for games that have mouselook, you'll often see what looks like lots of mouse movement coming out of the center of the screen.)"

I'm running synergy v.1.11.0 on two PC's using Windows 10 and attempting to run games on my laptop using my desktop keyboard and mouse. I can play games on my desktop using synergy to my laptop just fine, but if I ever try to play games on my laptop using my desktop KBM, the mouselook bug takes over and makes it almost impossible to play. After emailing a support representative and describing my issue, I was told that "better gaming support isn't a feature we currently support, but are planning to add as a feature request of the next major version of Synergy" and provided me a link to the Synergy roadmap (https://symless.com/synergy/roadmap) where I was able to submit a vote on which feature requests I'd like to see - although I had to type "Better Gaming Support" into the "Other" tab as it wasn't a feature listed.

Although this isn't ideal, it looks like this may be the best avenue for Synergy users to achieve what we're looking for here. I hope that my experience helps anybody looking for any additional insight on this issue.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
KaiWalker

This is also happening to me.   It does NOT have the problem when my client is a MACBOOK, only on my MSI laptop.

How do I initiate a refund?  Having Warcraft on a 2nd computer was the ONLY reason I purchased this app.

Kai

• 1 month later...
NathanJD

Thanks @Patrick Brockway! This is the exact issue I am experiencing. Mouse look in the following games is unusable due to insane acceleration: EverQuest, World of Warcraft.  Changing the polling rate seems to have no effect. I went to the roadmap so submit my request but it seems that both "advanced gaming support" and "other" have been removed. I guess Symless never intends to fix this. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to drop in and mention the reason that there haven't been responses by Synergy customer support recently.

Synergy has deprecated the use of this forum as a means of getting tech support. It is being kept around for discussion among users. Currently, the Synergy support contact page recommends checking the help documents then starting a ticket using an online form:

https://support.symless.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006779818-How-to-contact-us-for-support

I haven't worked Synergy forum support for a few years now. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

So I've found that if your server mouse, has an adjustable DPI setting on it, that allows you to adjust the precision of the mouse on the fly, the solution for this issue is to disconnect all other mice on your client PC's, and move your main mouse to each of your computers, and install any software extras (Razer synapse etc) on each PC, and set each mouse up IDENTICALLY. This will solve 99% of the spinning issues when play games with Synergy active.

• 3 weeks later...
johnebgood

I have synergy on my Mac as server and my Windows 10 PC as client. When I load Minecraft on the PC the mouse stays locked to the game however just a slight movement sends me spinning hundreds of times in either direction. I tried enabling and disabling scroll lock, it seems the sensitivity is too high for some reason, everything else works perfectly. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

Thanks,

John

I am amazed that this issue has been listed since 2016, I just managed to sync two PC's together and the camera spinning is happening in all games. you have excellent product please support it well 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I had this issue in various games - locking the mouse/keyboard to the screen that I play on solves it for me. If I unlock the mouse to move to another screen, it becomes hyper-sensitive, so scrolling is not possible anymore; once locked it works fine. Hope that helps someone :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2023 at 8:13 AM, Lurchiii said:

I had this issue in various games - locking the mouse/keyboard to the screen that I play on solves it for me. If I unlock the mouse to move to another screen, it becomes hyper-sensitive, so scrolling is not possible anymore; once locked it works fine. Hope that helps someone :)

Like Lurchii says, I found success with locking the mouse to the screen.

However, I had to make sure that "Use relative mouse moves" is enabled underneath Configure Server -> Advanced Server Settings -> Options