Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Degraded from premium user to basic user

Hi there... I'm a bit sad how the direction synergy goes develops. I started using it when it was completely free, and I liked it so much I decided to donate. Then charging for downloading was introduced... I was lucky though, as I donated more than the $10 fee. And I was a premium user until 1.6.3. But with 1.6.3 the encryption on my Linux Machine stopped working due to some Crypto++ issue. On github that issue was closed with the remark, that crypto++ will be dropped in the next version. With 1.7.1 I was degraded to a basic user, and can't even use encryption anymore. I should pay further $19 do get a pro-version and get SSL encryption. It's not a nice behaviour to take things away again from people, especially when they gave their support in the early begining. I recommended synergy to a lot people as it just was a great piece of software, but now I don't feel comfortable with that anymore. My suggestion for the next step is a monthly fee, which will be increased with each major release number, and the feature to connect to other operating systems should also cost extra money. /s Sincerely, a former happy user. Edited by Guest
chaoservices
I got to say: I agree with Corben, except the smart-assery. I too was none to pleased to find the switch in my RSS feed today. I do understand the need to feed hungry programmers. I am one myself. You guys do excellent work and you deserve to make money. But regardless: reading that post I feel not well. I bought for SSL and you guys have put it on a higher shelf. And write as though it has always been that way.
Richie Cruz
I sorta agree with you guys.. need to feed hungry programmers.. wish they just put what we donated into the price of the upgrade and just pay the difference, to me that's fair. If people donated less.. then they get the 10.00 grace price upgrade. If you put in more then pay the difference from that. Also nothing is stopping you from using the older version guys. Has the encryption in it, and it what you paid/donated for right?? Just my 2 cents.
Alright, the world is okay again ;) Just got an email: [quote]To say thanks, and to show you my personal appreciation for supporting us in our early days, please accept a complementary upgrade to Synergy Pro which includes the new SSL encryption feature. Please complete this form to claim your free upgrade...[/quote] I'll be happy to recommend Synergy again. For new users this is a different issue, as they directly will be able to see what they get. Even though in these times, encryption should be for free for anybody. Snowden showed us, if they can spy on you, they are already doing it. edit: and having the choice... I'm thinking about increasing the donation now.
Michael Brown
I was so happy to see this email this morning. I previously sent a nastygram to Nick voicing my concern, and I feel like this move means they care a great deal and are listening to feedback from community members. I've already increased my donation.
chaoservices
[quote="Michael Brown"]I was so happy to see this email this morning. I previously sent a nastygram to Nick voicing my concern, and I feel like this move means they care a great deal and are listening to feedback from community members. I've already increased my donation.[/quote] Indeed a very benevolent move. I wonder if they really want beer? I haven't often gotten software for beer.